Saturday, December 31, 2016

Resolutions

     I never have been one to make resolutions, especially for the New Year,  Change is not something that occurs because you will it to be or because it is a certain date.  The last time I made a resolution I failed miserably,  nevertheless my failure did not prevent me from becoming accomplished in my ultimate goal.  Things just took a different twist than I thought it would.  I'm sure that I will eventually be able to do what I had once resolved to do but not because of the effort to do it but as a by-product of other efforts. 
  The gym's will be packed Monday as people begin a new weight loss regime.  Weight loss doesn't begin in the gym and people expecting to go to the gym for a few minutes for a half-hearted workout a couple times for a few weeks in January are soon disappointed when they don't lose weight or feel better. In fact, they probably go home sore, eat to comfort themselves, feel worse and weigh more, get depressed and give up.  No, weight loss begins at the table and has little to do with how much or how little one eats.  It has more to do with what one eats and drinks and how and when that food is consumed. 
  Going to the gym has more to do with shaping and strengthening our bodies  and actually very little to do with weight loss. 
  As far as quitting smoking goes, good luck with that one.  If you focus on what you are losing then you will never quit.  Focus on what you are gaining.  Use every aid you need to and you don't have to choose just one.  It is a nasty, unhealthy, expensive addiction that can be beat and you will be so proud of yourself that all the smokers in your life will hate you for it. 
    If I have something I would want to change it is how I spend my time.  Since I retired I have spent time fixing up my yard, taking care of the church property, helping my Mom, studying and learning, and doing many things for other people.  Starting now, I am going to spend more of my time being attentive to my wife  and doing things with her and for her. 

No comments: