Monday, December 28, 2009

Queen of Southgate Update

Some of you know that I wrote a book "Queen of Southgate" which is a true account of what happened in a fire that claimed the life of a young boy and my relationship with a woman involved in that fire who, it turns out, was, and is, a street prostitute in Greensboro, NC.

The book wasn't a success because the subject matter isn't of much interest to the average folk and is a problem most who rather not think about. From time to time I learn of things that happen to the women protrayed in the book. One lady, Lisa, who I referred to as pure evil, is now no longer a street prostitute but a married lady with a job.

One, who really wanted to change her life and re establish a relationship with her children dropped dead of a heart attack a week after ending her legal battles to retain her freedom. Another, Donna Brown, who had two children, the last was by the special police officer hired to police the grounds of the Lost Dimension strip club
and the grounds of the seedier motels, was murdered in Burlington.

A resent event made me realize that I had been given some facts wrong in my book. I knew that TJ's mother has given birth to two daughters when she was young and to TJ after she married a young man. TJ's sisters had children the same age as she was.

I had been under the impression that TJ's parents lived in Raleigh and that her mother died first and the the father. Apparently that wasn't the case. It seems that her parents argued a lot and spent most of their marriage separated. Her father lived in California when he died. I believe he passed away before his wife did.

But what I learned that both shocked and saddened me was to learn that TJ had a brother. The picture of her and her brother identified the two as being three years old but I don't know if that was accurate. It may have only been TJ who was three. The boy was larger and could have been a year or so older. I do know that he was given away. I would hope for adoption but that wasn't siclosed.

One would have the doubts that a little blonde haired green eyed peanut of a girl would have much of a change coming from such a back ground. She didn't.

When she saw her brother's picture, she shed a tear. It is good to know that after all she has been through there is a little part of her that can still care.

No comments: