Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A flash of lightning

At 8:18 am I observed a flash of lightning followed in about 10 seconds with a roll of thunder.

Thunder is not a cold weather phenomenon although it does occur occasionally during the winter months. Something else is common to warm weather storms rarely seen in the winter is a drop in temperature. When the skies cloud up and rain falls, temperature will drop during the warmer months and rise in the winter.

My pond is almost full now and it is time to switch over and refill my rain barrels during these rainy days. There will come a time shortly when I'll be glad I've got the extra hundred gallons of water in reserve.

I saw my big fish (17' and just shy of four pounds) playing in the waterfall while I was watching the rain. I'm glad its raining and if it wasn't I would have been staring out the door wishing it was instead of looking out the door wishing I could get outside and do something. Typical human, never satisfied with the status quo.

Kind of like that article I read last night about this writer who decided to explore why men sign up for Dolly Madison, a web site for married people who want to cheat. Sixty two percent of the members are men. Sometimes instead of enjoying what we have we wish for what we don't but if we had what we don't we would still want what we had. It's not a matter of circumstance but one of attitude. I personally choose to be happily married and I am.

So I'll just kick back and enjoy the rain, thinking of its many benefits and be glad it cam today.

No comments: