Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Stock market Rollacoaster

Hang on, here we go again. Just as my 401K hit a new high the stock market took a big downturn. I can't afford to be conservative but its getting harder to hang on as I continue to get closer to retiring.

It wouldn't be nearly as scary if my body would hold out but it is getting more difficult to function. I'm just glad I need a lot less than most folks because I've learned to live with less. The average 401k has more in it than mine does but the average boomer makes a lot more than me and doesn't have much more than I do so in that perspective I'm doing fine. Plus my personal savings has the potential to triple in the next few years. How, you ask?

For one, my social security checks will replace my take home pay plus I'll receive a small inheritance. Also, if I work past age 66, everything I make I can save plus I may receive a small sum from a service connected disability.

It's all good anyway. I've always been a survivor and I'll make it through the retirement years just like I have through life. Faith, hard work, and clean living.

No comments: