Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winter's coming

I don't like cold weather for several reasons. First, it's cold. I don't like being cold. I perfer to be warm. I like summer even though sometimes summer can be too hot. The last half of Spring and the first part of fall is okay but the rest of the year kinda sucks in my opinion. I like to grow stuff, to work in the yard, to play some baseball, to cook out and sit around the water pond and chat with family, friends and neighbors. I retired in June and up until the end of Octomber I had more to do then I thought I could get done. I mowed the grass at the church as well as at home and my Mom's house. I took care of her, helped my wife with her mom, plus all the things that needed to be done at my own house. In the first part of the fall, I decided to cut back the briars and vines that were taking over at the church and it has been ten weeks now and I am almost done. There is a pile of brush six feet high, six feet deep, and 60 feet long that I have cut down. Oh there is much more that could be done but I do not have the equipment nor the money to rent the equipment to finish the job. Pretty much accomplished what I set out to do and that was to clear an area big enough to have a pumpkin patch. Having a pumpkin patch will accomplish several things. First, planting pumpkins will give me a little something to do, the pumpkin vines will cover the cleared land so I won't have to mow that and it will retard the grow of the briars and vines. Secondly, the pumpkins will give me something to sell in the fall to raise money to give to the church. Maybe start a building fund with the money. But before that can be done, I have to finish digging up and clearing out all the vines in the field. The vines are as thick as the grass in most people's yard so it is a job . It would be nice to have a weed torch or a tractor. I can't use a tiller as in just a few minutes of use the vines will entwine the tiller blades and shaft so tight the blades can't turn. Nope, all I have is a weed hoe and a hatchet. I have to pull the vines out one at a time. Of course I have all winter to get the job done.

No comments: