Saturday, May 12, 2012

It takes teamwork

One of the players on my baseball team can throw the ball faster than the other boys. Suprisingly, he is the second smallest kid on the team.   One thing he has failed to realize is that being able to throw a ball faster than anyone else doesn't make him a good pitcher.  He is only twelve and a twelve year old doesn't need to throw a hundred pitchesin a game.

One thing I learned watching Little League baseball is that throwing more than 70 pitches a game is harder on an arm than throwing curve balls.  Now I have a good team but just don't have many good players on the team.  Lately, the team has started to break down. 

A couple of games ago my pitcher refused to play unless  I put him in as catcher.  Today we played a double header and I played him in right field.  He sulked both games. He openly admitted he was mad because he didn't get to pitch. 

It's hard to change someones attitude.  Talking to him about sportsmanship and teamwork isn't going to work.  That has already been proven.  What I would do, if I could, is to let him pitch but have the other players refuse to play.  No matter how good one is, a person cannot  make it alone.  God made Adam a helpmeetbecause even in a perfect world one cannot go it alone.  This kid needs to learn that.  He is part of a team and if he expects to participate and garner success, then he needs to contribute at whatever position he is given to play. 

No comments: