Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Just Sayin

"Just sayin" is a phrase usually added at the end of a statement that means absolutely nothing.  It's kind of like having an opinion and expressing it and then apologizing for expressing that opnion.  Someone sent in a text to "Dancing with the Stars" which said ' If_ and _ don't win I;m going to pick up my TV and throw it against the wall.  Just sayin." 

 I read what the writer wrote.  What did "just saying" add to the statement?  Absolutely nothing.  It's just an irratant tacked on to dilute the force of the statement, like apologizing in advance in case someone disagrees with your opinion, like you believe you are the sole person holding that belief or opinion.

One other that that irratates me is people who can't count words.  Some says "I've got two words for you  "I'm leaving."  No, that's three words. Just because you make a contraction does not change the word count.  In the above example, I'm  is actually two words--I am and just because someone chooses to make a contraction does not alter the word count.   

No comments: