Thursday, May 31, 2012

The last practice

Yesterday, 5-30-2012 was the last practice of the Randleman Reds.  Coop was there with his arm in a sling but of course Jerry did not make it as he feels he is too good to practice.  One boy flew to Puerto Rico to be with his dieing grandmother but my two assistant coaches  were there.  I decided to have some fun so I divided the squad into two teams with an assistant on each side and I pitched for both teams.  We played what we used to call barrels.  Since everyone there batted right handed, anything hit to the right of second base was considered a foul ball.  We had a catcher, a third baseman, a shortstop, an outfielder and a first baseman on each team. 

We played for an hour then regrouped, chose sides again and played a second game.  It was fun.  That is what baseball is supposed to be.

Even though the team went winless the kids were not losers.  They came, they practiced hard, they played the best they could, they learned and they had a good time.  They made some memories and hopefully some friends.  I know I did. 

No comments: