Sunday, May 27, 2012

Unwanted end

I know my little league team hasn't won a game all season but i liked the idea of the post season tournament in which only the bottom four teams would compete against each other.  It has been a weak roaster for me all year with two players never showing up to begin with and a third quitting before the first game was played. 

For half the year I only had ten players but managed to pick one an extra one half way thourgh.  It was then the team  became more competitive but the extra player wasn't eligible for the post season.  I petitioned the league and was given the green light for him to play.  I had a player quit the last day of the regular season and another inform me they would be on vacation for the post season.  That left me with nine.

Yesterday one injured his arm and is out for two weeks  which left me with eight, enough to play but
the wrong eight to have a chnce to win.  The injured player was one of my pitchers and one of the better players on the team.  Today another player called to inform me they would not be palying in the tournament.  That would only leave me with seven.  I can't even take the field with seven players. I don't mind losing if we try but accepting defeat due to forfeiting just isn't my style. 

For some reason I believe that if one makes a committment one should follow through. It's just not fair to the team when people act in their own interests at the expense of everyone else.      

No comments: