Thursday, February 14, 2013

Upside down fish

Late last fall I noticed one of my larger Koi was floating upside down in the middle of the pond.  I assumed it had perished for some unknown reason but it was in such a position I could not fish it out.  It was a cold rainy day so I thought it better for me to wait for a nicer day before I uncovered the pond to fish it out. 

It was a good while later when I found the time to make another attempt to get the fish out of the pond but it was no longer in the middle of the pond but floating near the edge so it would be rather easy to get out .  When I touched the fish with the net, it turned upright and swam away.  What a surprise!

It didn't swim like a normal koi but only used the fins on its right side.  After it stopped, it rolled back over on its' back.   It is still alive.  Maybe it had a stroke and is paralyzed on the left side.  Maybe it will recover in time.  I don't want to kill a living creature but neither do I want it to suffer.  I am going to wait until spring when I clean my pond to retrieve it if it is still alive and I will place it in a tank of its own   so other creatures will not bother it. 

Any one know of a reason  for its behavior or a reasonable course of action concerning this fish?

No comments: