Tuesday, July 05, 2011

hit me or lock me up

If I locked my child in a closet I could be arrested and charged with child abuse but Icould hit the child and be within my rights as a parent to discipline that child. When that kid grows up, society can lock him up but cannot physically punish that person (except in debt penalty cases).

I've raised some wonderful children and while I believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child" I don't believe it necessarily means I have to hit the child. Corporal punishment is sometimes neccessary and is to be used sparingly. I may have spanked my son three times in his life and I never had occasion to spank KeishaLynn. I raised six childen and only had occasion to spank two of them.

I have always believed it far better to raise a child with love and respect. I never "baby talked" with a child but I did have a set of rules and a strict code of conduct for them.

No comments: