Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How to handle disagreements

Sometimes I find myself in a quantry which is not unlike a quarry in that I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.  Our pastor is disabled.  Although to look at him one would not realize it the truth is he has many health issues and it is difficult for him to do all he needs to do.  To help him he asked a young preacher, just turned 21, to help him.  This young preacher preached a sermon last night using John chapter 21  verses 1-12 as his text.  To explain the verses he stated that "Jesus is the boat." 
Now I will have to admit that his illustrations were unique.  For example he said that "casting the net on the right side of the ship was significate because in heaven the saints would stand at the right hand of the father and the lost would be gathered on the left hand.  But whether the right side of the ship was on the right side of jesus is questionable.  That would all depend on which way the ship was facing.

The story was not a parable so we can't interpret it as such but we must take the events and expain the importance ofthem.  This was a real event, not a parable. Jesus was not the boat as the boat is an inanimate object and can't even be interpreted as a type of Jesus.  Jesus was standing on the flesh, a living breathing creature and not a lifeless object.

My problem is that the man in the pulpit should preach and teach what the bible says and not make up stories about what he things it could mean.  Maybe his intentions are good and his sermon was filled with interesting and valid points, none of what he said is the actual and truthful interpretation of those versus. 

If a man is allowed to stand in the pulpit and and make up  his own interpretations of scriptures then those allowing him to do so are as wrong as he is.   On the other hand, the preacher would most likely withdraw his support from the church and leave the preacher in need. 

Because the semon was full of biblical truths should I ignore the error of treating it like a parable, should I share my concern with the pastor or should I mention my concerns to the young pastor?        

No comments: