Thursday, June 21, 2012

!st day of summer is hot

June 20th, 2012 wasthe last day of spring/1st day of summer.  Today, June 21 is the first full day of summer and it is shaping up to be a hot/dry day.  I really enjoyed the warm winter and the cool spring.
I was fooled into planting my garden early and Mother nature didn't take kindly to that so I learned not to trust her again. Promises of rain this week will probably go unfullfilled and drought
conditions may once again overtake this area, especially since my garden is growing good.  I have my first cantaloupe fruit of the season, just slightly larger than a BB and my pumpkins are doing great with 30 or 40 fruit set already. 

I have already harvested onions and potatoes, beets and radishes and green beans galore and should start pulling off some tomatoes by next week. Corn in puny and cucumbers and squash haven't even flowered yet.  I haven't had a good cucumber from a garden in four years.  My plants look really healthy this year for a change.  This red clay I have to garden in is some tough soil.  My pumpkins are planted in some good rich, deep black soil but the weeding is a full time job. 

Send me some pictures of your garden.

1 comment:

dsprl2000 said...

Summer may be hot but I'm looking forward to that first tomato sandwich. It has to be better than the one Arby's is so proud off.