Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dog loses snout



I have no details on how the dog lost its snout but it occurred when the dog saved the lives of two young girls.  The incident occurred in the Philippines.

I was stationed in San Miquel in the Philippines in 1971 where I was one of just a few that was allowed to live off base.  I had a dog who I named Isaac Von Braun.  I called him Braun and he was an unlucky puppy.   It seems he was the target of all the other dogs and I had to watch him closely as other dogs seemed to want to attack him.  His only friend was a small kitten.

When I feed Braun he would eat half his food and then go get the kitten and sit and watch over the kitten until the kitten ate the rest of his food.  It was the only time he showed bravery as he would protect the little cat.

After I returned to Vietnam for my second tour of duty Braun was injured in an attack by another dog and his new owner was afraid to keep him fearing he had gone mad.  I had an opportunity to return to the Philippines one day and it was late when I walked down the street towards my friends house.  I suddenly found myself surrounded by a pack of wild dogs and was afraid for my well being.  As the dogs were growling and circling me one of the dogs looked familiar.  I called out "Braun" and one of the dogs quit growling.  I called out his name again and he came up to me.  When he recognized me  he wagged his tail and let me hug him.  Then he turned and ran off with the other dogs running behind him. 

Had he not been my friend I certainly would have been seriously injured or killed that night.  Dogs are amazing creatures and it breaks my heart when people mistreat them.

I'm glad that this dog will be flown to the US where he will be treated for his illnesses and then have reconstructive surgery to build him a new snout. 

No comments: