Friday, October 19, 2012

Fall in Mt. Airy

This is a beautiful time of year to be in Mt Airy so the wife and I took a day to go visit the little town. We enjoyed some museums and having lunch at Snappy's. The pork chop sandwich was really good. After lunch we decided to walk down to the Smith house, an old main who left her home open to free tours. It was during that walk my wife did a face plant in someones front yard.

If she had not bumped into me on her way down she surely would have hit the sidewalk full force with her head but bumping me changed her trajectory just enough so her face hit the ground. I wish I had seen what caused the fall but the ground looked perfectly fine and I saw nothing that could have caused a trip. Her right hand was folded underneath her and her left hand was about shoulder high but not under her body. It just didn't look like what I would think a person should look like after they fell forward. But then it could just be how she reacted.

She complained about her vision being blurry and she was concerned the fall damaged her glasses. As we walked on she couldn't remember the name of the museum and i thought it strange as it was a place she had talked about all week. I asked her what day of the week it was and she didn't know. I took her back to the car and when she asked where we were going I told her to the hospital. She asked why and I said it was because she fell. She didn't remember falling.

At CT scan revealed a hemorrhage so she was transported to Baptist in Winston-Salem. There we learned that it wasn't an aneurysm. After her first night there she remembered some of the day before; lunch at Snappy's was the last thing until seeing me at Baptist. The stay at Mt. Airy hospital and the ambulance ride are lost forever to her mind.

She still has blurry vision but she can finally retain information. The staff is running test to determine if it was a medical condition that caused the fall or if she just tripped.

I still like fall in Mt. Airy, just not the kind my wife had.

No comments: