Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Retired and loving it

If I could figure out how to make money without having to work I'd have the perfect life for me.  Truthfully, I don't mind the work part as long as I get to determine what hours and  days I work or not work.  I had a job like that once at Show Stoppers but they moved their operations to Myrtle Beach.  I may try UPS this winter although it is hard and I'm older than when I did that job before. 

In 2004 I was homeless, $37,000.00 in debt with monthly bills higher than my income  but I paid off all my debts and saved $51,000.00 ($37,000 of that coming since Obama was elected).  I have a paid for truck, money in the back, my ssi check, a disability check from my service in Vietnam, and a monthly draw from my retirement.  I work in my yard, take care of the church, coach some baseball, spend some time with my mom, and just adopted two kittens.  I have five flower gardens, three vegetable gardens,  two water ponds, and some land in the mountains, and a wonderful wife. 

Finances are tight, I do admit, and I try to spend as little as possible.  So far I've had to withdrawn $4000 extra from my retirement account but have made all $4,000 back in interest.  I also have ten grand in an account that I can't touch for a while and shared interest in a house (value unknown).  In todays economy and by todays standards it isn't much but I have a modest home with easy payments and my car looks brand new and only has 12,000 miles on it and it is four years old.  I buy one tank of gas a month for my truck so its not like I have expensive tastes or extravagant needs.  I am a simple person with simple needs.

I not only believe in God and Jesus Christ but they are as real to me as I am.  I enjoy teaching my Sunday School class, making the video of church services for our shutins and trying to make God's people feel special because they are. 

I work as hard or even harder   than I did when I had a job but I love every minute of it.

No comments: