Thursday, January 07, 2010

Fitness and Weight Loss

My wife wanted a Wii for Christmas. To be honest, we are both overweight. Wait, that's not absolutely correct. We were labeled obese by weight measurements-just slightly but obese just the same. I had already lost 35 pounds but had gotten stuck at a certain wight and seemed that my eating habits would not allow me to go below that number.

My health had improved. When I started all my numbers indicated I was a walking dead man but with a change in diet the numbers came down and except for borderline blood sugar and slightly elevated blood pressure, my other numbers were perfect. But I still had work to do.

In the warmer months I am in the yard working almost everyday and I did the occasionally walk. It was enough to keep me from gaining weight but bad weather days and months were really hard on me. Every year over the holidays, I would pack on the pounds and spend the next spring and summer working the weight off.

My wife's argument for the Wii was that we could exercise indoors. I let her win this argument and I am glad I did. We exercise via the Wii on a daily basis. She is now only overweight and I am only two pounds away from reaching that new low.

But better than that, I now wear a size smaller pants, my double shin in now a shin and a half, I sleep better and have more energy. I has only been 30 days (yea, it was an early Christmas present)

We play the games occasionally but mostly do the Wii fitness. She is able to stick to a set routine but I have to work around my crazy work schedule. It is paying off. Even though the weight loss has not been dramatic-nothing like twelve pounds in 7 days with "right-sized smoothies" or "you can lose twenty pounds by Christmas" headlines in November issue magazines, but the physical changes are noticeable and occuring at a steady rate.

It was a one time investment, we don't have to get out into the weather to go to the gym or brave the elemnts to walk around the neighborhood. One great thing is, once results have been noticed, motivation to keep at it sets in.

No comments: