Sunday, January 03, 2010

Old Fort, NC

My dad loved the mountains and so wanted a piece of land with a mountain stream running across it so he purchase an acre of land in Old Fort, NC. Unfortunately, he died before he could finish what he had started on the land. I'm glad he got to enjoy it some though.

The taxes on it were cheap, only $50.00 or so a year but more than Mom should have to pay on property she can never use so I made an agreement to buy the land from her. I had hoped to cleam it up and maybe build something on it but there are no jobs for me in the area so I finally decided to buy a home here.

I did however want to take care of the land and maybe grow some vegatables and flowers and maybe raise some pond plants up there so I made an agreement with a man to clear the land in exchange for the trees. He took what trees he wanted, cut the rest and left them piled up on the property in such a manner that I can't use the property for growing anything unless I pay to have it cleared and that would coat several thousand dollars, which I don't have.

Now if I were planning to build on the land the epense would not be any greater than it would have been otherwise since the property would have to be graded anyway.

I relunctantly decided my best option was to sell the property but that hasn't worked out. The first agent I hired didn't move the property because the government decided to close off access to the main road so they could remodel bridges. The second contract also failed because the economy tanked.

The property was valued at $14000 and has a tax based on $10,800.00 (less than $57.00 a year) I want to clear $10000 on the sale so I had it listed for $12800.00 but I no longer have a contract.

The address is 140 Violet Lane Old Fort NC. To reach the land one needs to take Bat Cove out of Old Fort.

No comments: