Monday, January 25, 2010

Update on Obama's Jury Duty

I certainly didn't mean to imply that I really believed Obama should actually sit in judgement of someone accused of a crime while he is President of the United States. I do believe that he should have been willing to do so and not made the excuse that he was too busy. That is an excuse so many people make because they either believe they are so important or do not have the proper respect for our system of justice.

I have been called to jury duty twice. The first time the prosecution was called away to another case and everyone on the next calendar pleaded guilty so there were no cases to be heard. The second was just after I moved from Guilford to Randolph County (and yes, one's IQ does actually drop when one leaves Greensboro) and I notified the court of my move but volunteered to serve anyway but that isn't legal.

Of course my experience has no bearing on the President of the United States but he is first a citizen and has an obligation to uphold it's laws and support it's legal system and not skirt his civic duties. I am not surprised he will not serve but disappointed he had to make an excuse to get out of jury duty.

No comments: