Monday, January 18, 2010

A healtier Asheboro

It strikes me as funny that a town that just went from dry to wet is now concerned about the health of its citizens. It also strikes me as pathetic that the home of the NC Zoo claims it has no place for people to go to to walk. I know, it isn't free, and joggers and walkers don't want to pay. They want the city to build them a nice place.

Another thing that strikes me as funny is that the computer and TV get the blame for Americans being in the shape (round) that we are in but actually that is just another example of us transferring blame for our own actions, or in actions in this case, to someone or something else. We can choose to use the TV and/or computer for our benefit.

I have a Wii and have been working out daily on it for about six weeks and I have been getting comments from people about how much weight I have lost. The truth is, I haven't lost but just a couple of pounds but I have slimmed down considerably. It's not boring, nor am I affected by the weather, nor do I need friends to keep me motivated and I am not out in public exposing myself to the dangers posed by thieves and other dregs of society and crazy drivers who seem to be getting more and more aggressive.

I'm not a saleman for Wii and I'm sure that most people would rather play games that work-out with it. All I am saying is that it is a great way to take responsibility for yourself and stop having to depend on others to motivate you or shame you into taking a positive step.

I find the desire of the city to be a healtier place to live commendasble but I am still suspicious of the motives behind it. It is the same people who pushed for the town becoming wet and appointed one of their own to run the ABC store, a lucritive position with little responisbility, now want to convince you that the town now needs to take the lead in encouraging you to get healtier. Guilty conscience or profit-motive?

1 comment:

Dr Mary Johnson said...

In order to have a guilty conscience, you have to have one.