Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Confused

The first Tuesday of each month is the deacons meeting.  Six o'clock every Tuesday is deacons visitation.  When I arrived at six to meet the other deacon the preacher was there also and he and the other deacon were hanging a poster. 
  During the deacons meeting the preacher asked about visitation, when did we want to have it.  I told him I have tried to have deacons visitation every Tuesday at 6.  He asked me if we had been going and I said no because the other deacon always had an excuse not to go but I had been going anyway with either someone else or my wife.  He got mad and said we could not visit during the week, that sometimes work needed to b e done, like hanging the poster, and that took precedence over visitation.  He considered my desire to have a deacons visitation night an act of trying to run the church and if I made anymore such decisions he would kick me off the deacon board.  he said "we are not going visiting during the week."
   I hadn't been happy for almost a year since he seemed to exclude me from events and decisions anyway.  I had never missed a service, I mowed the grass each week, I am a faithful thither, giving 15% of my income each month.  I have either done or helped in every repair project, have cleaned and painted, and visited people and made the DVD's and wrote the church newsletter, changed the sign, and even cleared the field around the church all at my own expense.  The weed eater, the push mower, the riding mower, the leaf blower, the chain saw, and all the small tools and medium size tools used are all mine.  I even loaned the church the money to purchase the new building with. 
  Well, I didn't take kindly to being accused of something that had never entered my mind.  All I want is to help build a church by doing what Christians were asked to do.  I'm not trying to run things.  I have lived a life of service to the church so don't threaten to take my deaconship away.  By the pastor's past actions being a deacon is a mute job as I have been relegated to a maintenance man. 
   Anyway, a week after the deacons meeting I voluntary gave up my deaconship and resigned the board of trustees. 
   Tonight in his address to the church he talked about leadership and during his message he mentioned visitation and said members of the church should have already visited those on our visitation list.  As a deacon I wasn't allowed to visit with the other deacon, couldn't go during the week but now we are supposed to have already gone. 
   I love it when I get clear signals and guidance on what is supposed to be done. 

No comments: