Saturday, August 02, 2014

What Robots Can't do

I just read an article that was an attempt at humor by describing what robots can't do and that got me to thinking about the subject in a more seriously.  Robots can assembly your car, mow your grass, vacuum your floor, and perform precision movements including performing delicate operations on a person.  For the most part robots are designed to do the jobs of labor intension work: in other words, take the place of people doing menial jobs. 
   A robot can vacuum but can't dust or at least not yet.  I'm sure in time one will be designed that can.  But I can't think of any job that is really important that a robot can perform on its own. That is not to say that maids or general labor jobs aren't important because they are.  There is honor in all work.  What I meant by my statement was robots can't make decisions.  of course they can compare data and make a choice based on preprogramed criterion  but a robot can't make an informed decision.  There is one other thing that robots can't do.    Robots can't feel.  One cannot program emotions.    

No comments: