Sunday, August 17, 2014

It's hard to lose a friend

In the sixties I played baseball in school and in the summer leagues and in the out law leagues once organized ball was over.  Steve Sisk was a barrel chested left hander who played fullback in football and averaged 10 yards per carry and was a superstar on the pitchers mound.  Gary Abernathy played basketball on a team that lost one game in four years and pitched a perfect game in Babe Ruth league.  Charlie Edwards was quarterback for the state champion football team the year before I graduated. 
    After high school I only saw Steve Sisk once.  It was around 1974 or 75 and he was in a ball uniform playing on a softball team.  About ten years later he was dead.  He had a heart attack while in his car.  Charlie was the next to go a few years ago and Gary died today. 
  Sure makes me value my life even more.  I miss them, especially Gary.

No comments: