Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What happened?


   I haven't had a good crop of cucumbers since I moved to Randleman proper until this year.  I set out six plants and have been furnished with the best cucumbers there are all summer.  Oh, and watermelons and cantaloupes have been fantastic.  I have had fresh watermelon everyday for the past six weeks.  I just cut one that weighed 28.6 pounds and it was just as sweet and juicy as watermelons in your dreams.  It may have been the last one of the original vines but there are still a dozen growing, one looks to be about a 10 pounder. 
   Squash has done very well this year.  with only two plants I've grown enough to furnish my needs as well as that of my friends and a few neighbors.  I had a bumper crop of beets, enough to share with many others, and everyone brags about how delicious my melons have been.  More often than not, my wife will have one consumed a minute or two after she gets it peeled, and moaning in delight as she eats. 
   But what in the world happened to the tomatoes?  In 2012, 2011, and 2010, it has been so hot and dry that tomato crops have been small and perished early and last year there was no garden at all because the seeds rotted in the ground from all the rain and plants turned yellow and died because they could not suck any nutrients from the soil.  I was delighted when my tomato vines grew tall   with a healthy color of green and plenty of fruit set.  The tomatoes I picked in June were a good size and looked really nice but were a little bitter with little flavor.  Fruit continued to grow but just didn't want to ripen.  Some are finally beginning to get some color but they are like the first one: no flavor and somewhat bitter.  It isn't the variety because I planted 8 different kinds, including a heirloom and two yellow varieties.   All are the same. 
   It's just not mine.     The plants are the church are good size with plenty of fruit but there has not been a red tomato in a month.  My Moms plants seem to be stunted but filled with round green fruit. 
There have only been two tomatoes that tasted like what one spends all winter dreaming about.  I have waited two years for a good home grown tomato.  It looks as if I'll have to wait for at least one more.

No comments: