Friday, August 22, 2014

What if we were all the same?

     When I worked for the Huntsville Item back in the day the paper ran an article about a small boy on a bicycle who was struck by a car and died.  The paper identified the boy by race referring to him as a young black boy.  Probably nothing would have become of it had the boy been black but the parents of the white child sued the paper.  The decision was made that unless a persons race was vital to the story it would never be mentioned again. 
      A white man, unarmed, was shot dead by a black cop but drew nary a headline while Ferguson rages out of control.  I wonder if we ever learn the lesson learned by the newspaper  I once worked for if racial relations would not improve.  If we stop referring to each other as blacks and African Americans and just refer to ourselves as Americans maybe we can begin to see ourselves as one people instead of polar opposites occupying the same space.   I am much more likely to help someone who is like me.  In other words I am more likely to help a fellow American that I am a black man or a white man.
     Apparently bring the two races together in an educational setting has done nothing to bring the two races closer together for we seem to be living in two different cultures.  I was taught that America was a melting pot when in actuality it is just a pot of stew with each ingredient clearly distinguishable from each other and all just simmering  right below the boiling point.  Sometimes, like in Ferguson, the a bubble burst and a tiny bit boils over. 

No comments: