Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why do Americans mistrust Police?

       I have always been pro police.  After all, who can one depend on in time of trouble to help out?  Even so there have been times police have done me wrong.  One time, in particular, still angers me.  I had stopped at an ATM to get the last twenty dollars available to me so I could get something to eat.  It was still three days to pay day and money was precious back then.  On the way to the store I had to stop behind a line of traffic at a traffic light that had turned red for my lane.  I was on Main Street in downtown High Point and the light in question was the one just before Roses heading toward Archdale.  Anyway, that's when a strange thing occurred. 
    A woman was walking up the sidewalk and she raise her hand as if to say hello.  I smiled and nodded back at her and to my surprise she opened the passenger door to by truck and hopped in.  Her actions left me temporarily stunned and before   I could recovery and object to her actions a police car pulled in behind me and turned on his lights.  He asked to step out of the truck and then asked me for my license.  After I showed them to him he asked for insurance and registration and when I went back to the truck to get them I laid my wallet on my seat.  The cop asked me about the woman and I told him what happened. 
    He asked to see my ID again and when I retrieved my wallet my $20.00 was missing.  I told the police officer that the woman must have taken my money  while he was talking with me.  Sure enough, she had a $20.00 bill on her but instead of giving it back to me he stuck it in his pocket saying "I'm keeping this as evidence." 
  It was really hard the next several days.  I was really hungry by the time payday rolled around. 
I once had some money stolen from me and the police refused to help me get it back even though I knew exactly where the thief was.  The cop told me they didn't help people recover lost money while the victim was committing a crime.  In other words they believed I got ripped off trying to make a drug buy.  I have never purchased illegal drugs or any drugs for illegal purposes nor have I ever used any or sold any. 
   On the other hand a cop stopped me for speeding and he was going to let me go when he thought I was a fellow cop.  That wasn't right either for police have no more right to break the law than anyone else does. 
   One would think that  the higher ranking officers would be more honest and trustworthy than the newer members of the police force but I've found the opposite to be true.  Some cops love to be bullies and some have learned how to use the privileges of being a cop to their advantage.  Policemen are no more hones than the average joe is out there and that's what's really scary.   

No comments: