Saturday, April 11, 2015

Garden News, April 11, 2015 Less Weeds, Less Money

    My garden tiller died last year and I tried renting one this year but that didn't work out so well.  I really didn't want to purchase another small tiller after experiencing broken transmissions after only two years of light use   on two different tillers and buying a bigger tiller presented more problems than it would have solved so I opted to buy a cultivator instead.  I made my selection of n electric cultivator.  \
    I have a small spot behind my shed that I'm using for my tomato and cucumber garden and a much larger space on the upper side of the house I use for most other plants.  it years past it just didn't seem to matter how deep or fine I tilled the soil weeds started to regrow almost immediately and about halfway through the growing season I would just have to give up on weed control until after harvest. 
   The cultivator is easy to use but it takes hours to use where a tiller makes quick work of my garden space.  Where the tiller turned the soil over and deep the cultivator barely scratched the surface  Three weeks after using the cultivator to remove weeds and grass from my garden space the garden is virtually weed and grass free.  I suppose there is truth to the saying that the less one disturbs the soil the fewer weeds one will have.  Using a cultivator instead of a tiller in an already established garden area   has turned out to be a good decision. 

No comments: