Friday, April 17, 2015

Mail is obsolete

    When a soldiers name was called during mail call there was always a happy moment.  Everyone liked getting a letter from home and I know of no one who didn't like getting a personal letter.  We used to be excited when the mail man came because there was always hope that one of the envelopes had your name of it. 
    Do we still write soldiers?  I know I haven't received a letter or card with my name on it in like forever except from my mom.  She has never had a computer.
    But we don't use computers fro mail anymore either.  E-mail did away with the personal letter and physical mail became known as snail mail which is just another way of getting bills and advertisements.  Honestly, I haven't used e-mail for personal contact in several years as now everyone uses their phone to send text messages.  E-mail has gone the way of snail mail:  just a way of doing business and a way for businesses to   delivery advertising to you. 
   I think e-mail was on the way out when I first got my first e-mail account and I was probably one of the last people to use it regularly for personal communications.  One day soon one will be forced to give out their cell phone number in order to buy anything and will be bombarded with text ads which we will call TEDS or something.  We'll have to find another way to communicate then.  I always enjoy that small frame of time when we leave advertisers in the dust and we are hassle free for a while.  Sort of like when cable TV first came out.  It was called pay TV and the big sales pitch was either watch TV with ads or pay the cable company for ad free TV. 
   By the time cable was so widely used I had no choice but to use it or do without TV, there was no such thing as ad free TV.  Once we had the privilege of reading news stories  but now we have to watch videos with an ad attached at the beginning.  Advertisers are not far behind though.  The other day my wife was complaining that she now receives advertising on her phone when ever she tries to send or receive a text.  It sure would be nice if someone would invent a way to get a personal communication  without an ad attached. 

No comments: