Friday, April 17, 2015

is all this rain good for the garden?

     I finally found my cantaloupe plants I need to complete my garden but I just don't know when I can get them planted.  Beets, carrots, lettuce, all varieties of beans, onions, pepper plants, watermelon, squash, cucumbers, and even my pumpkins have sprouted and seem to be doing good. 
   To be honest, I buy my pepper plants, tomatoes, and cantaloupe as I just haven't had that good of a fortune starting from seed.  Cantaloupe plants are some of the last plants to be available and I suppose that is due to the dangers of frost.  I grow some really good melons at my house.  Last years crop was among the best .
   In years past we have had droughts and our gardens suffered from lack of water and the we had a time when we had so much rain that everything drowned.  I don't know what happened last year as far as tomatoes are concerned.  The stayed green too long and had a bitter taste to them.  I don't remember but two tomatoes that had a good taste from last years crop and I had 17 plants.
   But for now I have all the cantaloupe plants ready to put into the ground but it is too rainy and today will be to muddy   and tomorrow is the big mulch sale in Randleman ($5.00 a scoop) and of course Sunday is the Lord's day and Monday it is supposed to rain again.  Of course I know when it does stop raining we will complain about that because it just might be the last we get until July 4th. 

No comments: