Sunday, April 19, 2015

Gardening tips

       A friend advised me he planted his tomatoes in hills so they are less apt to drown in this wet weather and another friend pointed out that gardens tend to dry out faster in drier weather.  It seems we are prone to droughts around here so it seems the hills are the perfect solution for April but not for the rest of the growing season.  I've seen a little evidence of yellowing tomato plants nut it seems the following 7 or 8 days will be drier than we've had lately so maybe those plants will recover. 
    I did something different this year.  I have two plants on my back deck and 6 plants in my big garden as well as my regular tomato and cucumber garden.  It is the regular garden where I have had problems of yellowing tomatoes which is frustrating because I planted my tomatoes in that space because of yearly drought conditions
    I'm having a hard time getting my watermelon seeds to sprout but everything else is growing good.  My green beans have come up nicely this year and my beets and spring onions have formed pretty rows.  My lettuce is actually getting big enough to tell what it is.  The strangest thing is I had a peach tree spring up in the oddest place.  I suppose a squirrel hid a pit there and it came up for I certainly would not have planted a tree in that spot.  Hopefully I can transplant it to a place where I need it to be.  I had planned a placed for six trees to grow and only 5 came up so this one will complete the set. 
   My cape myrtle seeds haven't sprouted yet but I was given so few of them I really didn't expect any results.  If anyone has seedling of deep red crape myrtle's I can have let me know.  I need three. 

No comments: