Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Gardens, birds, and Sunflowers

We had so many birds visiting my feeders that the ground would become so thick with sunflower seed hulls that walking around the feeders was like walking on a giant sponge.  Twice a year I brought the shop vac out and sucked up the hulls and threw them in my garden space.  In the spring I would have lots of sunflowers come up. 

Th expsense had become more than we could bear so we finally stopped buying seeds and just put out seeds cakes .  Birds that normally ignored the seed cakes were helping themselves as well as dozens of crows and we just couldn't keep up.

We finally stopped putting out the seed cakes as well so the birds started eating the seeds from the sunflowers.  It dawned on me that wild animals are just like human being in that they will take the method that presents the lest amount of work. 

This winter we will again feed the birds but next year I am going to sew my entire garden space in sunflowers and move my vegatable garden to the space I use for cateloupes and watermelons and find another method for growing my tomatoes. 

Last week I noticed some of the heads of my sunflowers were missing and I thought maybe crows were doing the deed but today I discovered itis really squirrels. I don't care if the squirrels help themselves to the sunflowers.  They consume the whole seed head and they are so cute chewing on a seed pod larger than they are. 

No comments: