Thursday, July 05, 2012

too many koi fish

I built my pond three years ago and purchased 4 koi and 12 goldfish.  I put my goldfish in the small pond at the top of my waterfall and the four Koi, 3" to 5 " went into the big pond.  Last year my tri-colored Koi layed her egss but was injured in the process and died.  I only had two fish from her first set of eggs  but a good number of the eggs from last year survived.  I sold some to my wifes co-worker and sold some to a pond builder.  After selling off 87 fish I still have 37 babies left.  I want to keep 8 of them and sell the other twenty-five.  They range anywhere from 3" to 7" and are in a variety of colors. 

The rock salt is working wonders as my water is clearing up.  This morning it still had a green tint but I could see to the bottom of the pond.  In the afternoon when the waters are most stirred up the water was still clear enough to see the big fish and the top of my filter.  Hopefully in a few days the pond will be completely clear. 

The rock salt not only clears the water but is also good for the health of the fish, causing them to increase their slime coat and helps rid the fish of parasites.  From what I read, in the next few years one willalmost halftodouble the amount of rock saltto have the same benefits for the fish and in about five yearsit will have noeffect, due to parasites adapting themselves to  withstand the effects of the rock salt.  hopefully it willcontinue to aid in algae elimination. 

If anyone needs some pond fish contact me.  Only one dollar each.  They need a good home.  Next spring I'll probably ask 5 to 9 dollars each for them.

No comments: