Monday, July 09, 2012

I'm ready for the rain

Friday night there was plenty of thunder but nary a drop of rain in Randleman.  The weather forecast for the next several days look promising with a 60% chance today at 1 o'clock.  I'm ready. I have brown grass that crunches when stepped on, big leafy vegetables in the garden that look as if they need to be tossed out if they were in the frig, and low water levels in my fish pond. 

Normally, I go to my garden and loosen up the soil around the plants but the ground is so dry it is like trying to chop up concrete.  Still, I've made my preparations.  I have two feeder hoses running from the overflow valves on my rain barrel so the overflow will run into my pond and not be wasted.  It's always been a trick to fill the pond from the rain barrel without emptying the barrel.  That ususually requires standing in the rain turning off the valve or timing the manuver for a break in the downpour.  The only trick this time will be moving the hoses from one pond to the other when one is full.  And no, I can't have one hose going to each pond as one pond is ten times larger than the other.  I need to ensure the bigger pond is filled first. 

I don't know if it is too late to save my pumpkins or not.  I'm sure their growth has been retarded.  If they are okay, don't forget to come by the church this fall to get your fall decorative pumpkin or one  for a pie or jack o'lantern.  I have three types planted.  But as for today, enjoy the rain. 

No comments: