Monday, June 17, 2013

Death of a Classmate

When I was young I played sports: track, football and baseball.  Baseball was my favorite by far and I was good at the game.  My first year I played in the outfield but after that I became a catcher.   I was all conference in school and on the all star team during the summer leagues.  There was a red headed guy, Kelly Rudisill who was a catcher too.  We played on the same team twice and each time I beat him out for the first string position but each time the league separated us. 

I was better behind the plate and working with the pitchers but Kelly was a better hitter than I was so on the All Star teams Kelly was always number one.  My last year in school I hurt my arm and my eyes got bad so I had to give up playing baseball.  Kelly went on to college where he became on of the best that ever played for his school. 

There was one other thing that Kelly finally won out on.  He got the girl.  I had a serious crush on the blonde that sat in front of me in algebra class in the 11th grade.  In the many years after school when reunions come around I always wondered what happened with her.  I never went to one and most likely never will.  It wasn't until a couple of years ago I started receiving a newsletter from my graduating class.  Some of my friends had passed away over the years.  I think the two most shocking was the star of the baseball and football team died in his twenties of a heart attack and a friend of mine and fellow track star passed away not long ago. When we were in school he held the NC state record in the mile run. 

But the death of Kelly was the biggest shock of all.  He was still married to his high school sweetheart, the girl I had the crush on.  He was 11 days younger than me.  He seemed to have had the life I wanted:  the beautiful blonde, sports star, college graduate, beautiful kids and grandkids, and a successful business career.    I don't regret my life but his always seemed to be just a little bit better.  Until now. 

I'm really sad for his wife and his children and the rest of his family.  I'm sad for him too because even at our age there is a lot of life left to live and a lot to be accomplished.  As a kid he always made me work harder to beat him out for a common position.  Now that he is gone he is still making me work harder because I know now how precious life is.  I'm not going to waste what he can't have.  Rest in peace Kelly. 

No comments: