Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I have to go but where?

It seems there is some controversy about where a transgender child should go.  A fifth grade child, Nicole, was identified as male on her birth certificate but has preferred being a girl had been allowed to use the girls restroom until the grandfather of a fifth grade boy complained. 

Why would a boy object to  a female using the girls restroom?  I can think of several reasons: 1.  He is curious as to what a transgender person looks like 2.  He wants some privacy to taunt the child and is upset because Nicole gets to use a restroom he can't go into 3.  He's attracted to Nicole but likes the boy part but can use her girl parts as a cover.  4.  The family are a bunch of jerks you see a way of making some money. 

In any case the child did not choose to be a transgender person and I certainly would not to want to be one.  The child should be given the respect and privacy as any other child.  It is said that between 1.5 and 2% of all births are to a transgender child although most suffer from only mild conditions.  About .03% , or 3 people out of 10,000 are born a true transgender so while rare it does happen more often than we might think it does. 

One would have thought that it would have been a girl to complain  about someone who could be a boy in their restroom.  I'm not sure how the other students knew that Nicole was neither a true boy nor a true girl.  I never questioned what parts another student (pupil, I suppose is the correct word) had went I grew up.  Stupid me thought if a person dressed like a girl, looked like a girl, and used the girls restroom it was probably a girl. 

It seems to me that people get involved in to many things that are none of their business.   

No comments: