Saturday, June 08, 2013

Every ones favorite subject

   The weather.  Maybe not yours but seldom does a day goes by when someone doesn't mention the weather.  In my life it's my wife.  I don't get out much myself.  I normally don't talk much about the weather even just as an ice breaker or conversation started but with such a wet winter and now such a wet spring even I am blogging about the weather.  In the last seven days there has been 8 inches on water in my rain gauge, 4 from the last two days alone. 

   During a brief break in the rain, sometime last week a neighbor asked me why the bottom leaves on her tomato plants were turning yellow.  She seemed somewhat surprised when I told her we've had too much rain.  I'm not sure she believed me but too much rain (or water) can prevent a plant from sucking up needed nutrients from the soil.  Water is good and necessary but even plants  need something a little more substantial. 

  When a plant drinks too much water and takes in to few nutrients it subjects the plant to various diseases.  There just isn't much we can do about the amount of rain the plants have received.  I wish I could have stored  more of the rain water.  I do have two fish ponds, one around 1500 gallons and the other around 300 but my fish prefer that I leave the water where it is.  My two rain barrels help some but together they represent around a hundred or so gallons.  Not really that much in the grand scheme of things. 

   If I could afford to I would dig myself a runoff pond a capture 10000 gallons or so of water then I could have a luscious lawn and a thriving garden  but if I dug a pond that deep I wouldn't have room for the garden or the lawn. 

  I can live with the cooler weather and the rain.  I just hope that isn't our allotment for the summer. 

  

No comments: