Monday, June 10, 2013

I didn't want everything to be a water garden

I have two fish ponds or water gardens, however one wants to view them but with all this rain it seems everything now is a water garden.  The tomato plants have yellow leaves and the plants are scrawny, the potato plants are turning yellow and dying and my seeds have been moved around by the constant rain.  I just sowed clover in  my garden to cut down on weeds and to try to get nitrogen back into the soil but the rain is going to wash the seeds so the clover will come up heavy in some places and not at all in others.     That's not what I need or want. 

With the droughts we have faced in years past I just am not prepared for this much rain.  I have to admit my water plants look fabulous especially my new bog gardens.  I planted some of my water Iris in dry soil a few years back because water Iris bloom after regular Iris do.  I had my doubts if they would survive but I planted them deeper than I would have regular Iris.  This year they are so thick and a dark green in color and had beautiful blooms.  The blooms are all but gone now but my lilies are taking over now. 

That's one thing I enjoy about my yard is I have something in bloom almost year round.   Early on its the fruit trees, bugle weed, phlox, and jonicals.  Then I have my Iris and purple ice (the purple ice will bloom through fall) and now the tiger lilies, day lilies, Easter lilies, and Cana lilies.  My mums are beginning to head up now into large, perfectly round mounds of large green leaves. 

Soon my cone flowers and daises will take over and my buttery fly bushes, roses, and my wildflower and sunflower gardens will be in full bloom as well as my pickerel in my water garden. 

In the fall my mums will bloom and my fruit trees and grape vines will begin to give up their harvest.  Hopefully in 2015 my cherry trees will begin to bloom as they will be in their fifth year then.

Things get better every year as the plants grow larger and begin to multiply.  I'm seriously considering doing my yard in clover instead on grass in the future.  Needs less care and don't need to be mowed as often.  We'll see. 

No comments: