Tuesday, June 11, 2013

New Ramp: but I had to pay for this one.

When I first got my shed 4 years ago I need a ramp so I looked around the neighborhood and found some straight lumber.  Most of it came from the trash pile where a house was being repaired.  I found a bunch of 2 x 6 of various lengths and pieced them together than then topped them off with 4 or 5 pieces of subflooring to make my ramp.  It really turned out to be a good sturdy ramp that served my needs just fine until this year. 

I have always mowed my grass with a 21" self-propelled mower  so my ramp, 36" wide, was quite adequate.  This year I purchased a rider which has a 42" mower deck.  (plus it has a chute )  It was quite tricky to drive a 42" mower up a 36" ramp.  One has to come up the ramp at such an angle that three wheels are on the ramp at all times plus the chute clears the entrance as well. 

I purchased a 4 x 8 piece of subflooring plus two 2x6x12 .  I cut 2 feet off each end of the 2 x6 x 12 and nailed the ten foot lengths to the support bracket under the entrance making the width of all the 2x6 54" wide.  Then I nailed the subflooring onto the 2 x 6's leaving two inches on one side and 4' on the other side closet to the door opening.  I took the old piece of subflooring and cut it to fit over the remaining  space, an area of about 2 x 4.5'.  The total cost of my new ramp was only $40.00.  I hated to spent the money but one just isn't going to fine a piece of 4 x 8 subflooring and 2 2x6x12 pieces of treated lumber just lying around. 

Oh the two feet I cut off the end/  I know I could have purchased 2 x6 x10  pieces of lumber but then I would not have had support braces for under the ramp.  I know it isn't the best looking ramp in the world but it is sturdy and wide enough to do the job and that's what really matters afterall.    

No comments: