Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weight loss and tiny diet tweaks

A few years ago I went to the doctor and discovered I was a walking dead man.  I started a diet and exercise program.  My wife and I purchased a WII and worked out with it everyday.  I started eating breakfast and taking my lunch.  My daily noon meal was a can of low sodium soup and an apple.  I ate a normal supper but quit the snaking.  Over the course of the next 18 months I lost fifty pounds.  After I retired I went to the gym everyday and walked 5 miles in an hour and 10 minutes while sticking to the diet that had gained me that big weight loss.  My abs were like rocks but my weight stayed the same. 
      I started feeling bad and went to the doctor.  She determined I was a type one diabetic and put me on insulin.  'You will gain 10 or twelve pounds" she warned.  Well it's was more like 25 and although I eat the same as I did when I lost the fifty plus I only drink coffee (unsweetened half-caf) in the morning and water the rest of the day I can't seem to lose a single additional pound. 
      Switching from insulin to metformin and glipizide hasn't helped except that I've quit gaining weight.   That's why I laugh whenever I read all these weight loss tips.  I eat tons of fruits and vegetables.  If you regularly read my blog you know I have cherry tress, grape vines, blackberries, peach trees, apple trees, and two vegetable gardens.  I'm very active physically so I should be dropping a lot of weight but I'm not. 
   The experts are correct though.  Eating breakfast keeps up ones energy level and reduces their hunger and will most likely result in eating less for lunch.  Water replaces all those empty calories in sugary soft drinks which should be a big boost to weight loss.  Exercise makes one feel better and increases ones energy level.  Eating fresh or frozen vegetables and fresh fruits help keep processed foods and fatty foods out of ones diet. 
    I will figure out what I need to do to lose the weight gain caused by my medication but until then I'll just keep working and trying.  When I succeed I'll let you know. 

No comments: